Why You Need Help Writing an Informal Letter?
Writing an informal letter is something that everyone has done at some stage. It is generally a letter between people who know each other. In addition to giving news, they are most often used to request information, congratulate people, give advice and ask questions. This style of letter writing shares a lot of similarities with a conversation you may have with a friend, you can ask a lot of questions, show interest and enthusiasm, and imagine a lot of shared information.
Informal writing may not be the hardest type of writing to get to grips with, but it still requires some basic knowledge of the principles, rules and format that cover general letter writing approaches.
Whether you are writing to a friend to share your experience of a recent trip, or writing to your parents to tell them about a promotion at work, there are guidelines with which you need to get acquainted.
Saying the Right Things in Your Letter
When writing an informal letter, it is important to remember who the reader will be – a friend, family member or potential employer, what points you would like to write about, and any other information you would think is important for the person to know. Other points to remember when writing your letter:
- If you are writing the letter instead of typing, make sure the handwriting is legible and clear.
- Use an active voice so it makes the letter sound more interesting.
- Use a friendly, sincere and conversational tone.
- Include your reason for writing.
- Exclude information which the recipient already knows.
- Show your care and concern and remember to ask how your recipient is doing, and not just start talking about yourself.
- Respond to their questions or concerns from any previous letter.
- Start a new paragraph for each new aspect of the topic instead of writing one long never-ending paragraph.
- After writing all that you need to say, you should let the reader know that the letter is coming to a close by writing something like “I look forward to hearing back from you soon” or simply “Keep in touch”.
How to Present Your Letter
Although you are writing in an informal tone, the actual letter structure should still follow some basic rules in its formatting, although this is nowhere near as complicated as say that of a business letter. Try and stick to the following format:
- Heading. The heading usually includes your address and the date. It’s up to you if you wish to include the senders address also.
- Salutation or greeting. This can range from a number of things such as Dear or Hi.
- Introduction. The first paragraph that starts the letter may give an idea of what the letter will cover, or it may just be an opening line like a greeting.
- Body. The main part of the letter contains the message, the reason for the letter, and any related or even unrelated information.
- Conclusion. Some letters may have a conclusion that sums up the letter and include any final remarks.
- Close. The letter closing has many options, including Love, Talk to you later, sincerely etc.
- Signature. Your signature follows and may include a full name, a first name, initials, or something else entirely.
- Postscript. A postscript can be included after the signature. This is the P.S. at the end that usually contains a last small message.
“Writing well is one of the secrets to being taken seriously. Learning the rules will give you confidence and help you continue on a path of success. If you communicate clearly, people will be less likely to dismiss your ideas just because you’re young or inexperienced. Writing well is like riding a bike or swimming – once you get the basics down, you can do it for the rest of your life – but you can also continue to fine-tune your skills, getting better with practice as the years go by.” – Mignon Fogarty, best-selling author of The ultimate writing guide for students.
Read these 5 tips on how to write an eye-catching professional business letter!
Let Our Professional Writers Help You
Our writing services are highly professional and very specialized in providing for all your writing needs. Our expert writers have been writing for many years and all hold PhD or Master’s Degrees in relevant areas. Included in our writing services, you will benefit from:
- 24/7 ordering and customer support.
- Highly affordable services with flexible discounts.
- 100% full satisfaction money back guarantee.
- Unique customized writing that will also checked for plagiarism.
- Error free writing that will be professionally proofread.
- A Full confidential service.
- Guaranteed on time delivery every time within your deadline.