Why Writing a Professional Complaint Letter Gets Results
Any form of formal or professional writing can often leave us with a blank mind when staring at that computer screen wondering what to write. But when it comes down to complaining about something, a lot of people just want to waffle on non-stop about how bad their service was or how the product that has just been bought doesn’t work etc.
When writing a complaint letter though, you will need to keep it short and to the point to ensure that your letter will be completely read through. If it’s too long, then the chances are that nobody will sit down and read it all.
However, if the letter enlightens all of the aspects of the problem in a well-grounded form, then you will easily get the desired result. So, you should approach this task with great attention and do some research on how to write a complaint letter.
Our Tips On How to Write a Complaint Letter
- The letter should be addressed to the customer service or consumer affairs department if they have one or to the head office. The address and contact information should be on their product or website.
- In the first paragraph you should identify what the issue is and any relevant information that you believe is important. Include the following information if applicable:
- The date and time of the issue.
- Name of person on duty or the name of the product.
- What the problem was.
- Your account number.
- Model number.
- Warranty information and reference number.
- Be sure to stick to the facts and avoid putting any emotions into your letter regardless of how dissatisfied you are feeling.
- The next paragraph should state what you would like to happen to resolve the problem. If you received poor service, you could request an apology or a coupon. If a product malfunctioned, you could request to exchange it for a new one or receive a refund.
- In the last paragraph, you should thank the reader for their time. You may also want to throw in some compliments about something that you like about their products or services.
- Include your telephone number and e-mail address after your printed name so that they can contact you.
- Keep a copy of the letter for your own reference and include photocopies of any relevant documents and enclose them with your letter.
“Don’t be a crazy person. That is the No. 1 rule for writing a complaint letter. I’m not kidding. That simple idea will go a long way toward getting your problem resolved. It’s simple: If you come across as having your act together, you have a good shot at getting the complaint dealt with quickly. If, on the other hand, you come across as being out of control, your letter will be ignored. As a consumer reporter, I receive more than 1,000 consumer complaints a week. I have been on the job for well over a decade. Do the math. I have read thousands upon thousands of lousy complaint letters – and a handful of good ones”. – Michael Finney, consumer reporter for ABC-7 television and KGO-AM in San Francisco.
What to Consider When Writing a Complaint Letter
What is important to remember is that they should be done on time. This is crucial if your complaint refers to products which are covered within a warranty period. Products purchased through the Internet will often have a time limit and the sooner you complain about a poor service, the quicker it can be rectified. More general points include:
- Take time to cool down before writing your complaint letter.
- Stay focused and straight to the point.
- Keep paper trails. Save every receipt, every cash memo or letter.
- Don’t be rude, sarcastic, or offensive.
- Don’t threaten to abuse.
- Don’t use a handwritten letter, this is seen as unprofessional and reduces the seriousness of your letter.
- Ensure there are no spelling or grammatical mistakes.
Find out 5 biggest professional letter mistakes you can easily avoid!
Our Professional Writers Know How to Write a Complaint Letter and Can Help You
We always work closely with you to fully understand exactly what you require from your letter of complaint before skillfully writing it in just the right way to get the desired effect. Through our services you will benefit from:
- 24/7 ordering and customer support.
- Highly affordable services with no hidden charges.
- A full satisfaction money back guarantee.
- Unique customized writing that is also checked for plagiarism.
- Error free writing that will be professionally proofread.
- Unlimited reviews.
- Fully confidential service.
- Guaranteed on time delivery within your deadline.